Which types of business should use TikTok ads
TikTok has started bringing ads to its platform since 2019, even though it’s quite new, a lot of big names have used TikTok ads as a marketing tool because it fits their needs. Before advertising on TikTok, you should considers the following factors to make sure it is right for you:
- Target audience: TikTok is for everyone, however, the users who dominate are Gen Z or millennial generation and 41% of them are from 16-24. They are mostly divided into 2 groups. One would like to show up, follow and catch up with new trends very quickly, the other only use TikTok as an entertainment activity.
- Products: Tiktok is the place to create very effective trends, you can take advantage of this element if your business tends to sell hot or trending items. Cosmetics, accessories, handmade goods, and fashion are also suitable to use TikTok ads.
- Cost: The minimum budget at campaign level is $50 (for both daily budget and total budgets) and at the ad group level is $20 (daily budget). However, the actual average cost of TikTok ads are expensive for small businesses:
- Brand takeover (5 million impressions guaranteed) – $50,000 per day
- In-feed native videos (minimum 600 impressions prepaid) – At least $6,000 and then $10 per impression
- Hashtag challenge – $150,000 per week
- Influencer post (with 2.5 million+ followers) – $600-$1,000 per post
What you should have before running TikTok ads
- Tiktok Ads account
Before running ads, you need to have an account for your business first.
Step 1: Go to https://ads.tiktok.com/i18n/register
Step 2: Enter your business information.
Step 3: Describe your business, enter billing information, add balance to your account.
Then you can go straight to the platform to create an ad campaign.
- Advertising videos
TikTok will have a kit for you to create a video from your existing images with free background music and templates. If you create a video by yourself, make sure it is in .mp4, .mov, .mpeg, .avi or .gif format and up to 500 MB.
- Landing page/ website
Once you advertise on TikTok, your customers will click on and go to your landing page or your website to check. A website with business information including email, contact number, address and so on will have a higher chance of ads approval.
- TikTok pixel
It is crucial to have one or multiple TikTok pixels to run your ads, a smart pixel can help you to avoid wasting your money and target the right audience.
Check out How to set up TikTok Pixel
How to run TikTok ads
Step 1: From TikTok Ads dashboard, click on “Campaign” and choose “Create”
Step 2: Select Advertising Objectives, name your campaign and set up a budget for your campaign.
Tips: To get the ad approved faster, choose No Limit for your budget
Step 3: Create an ad group for the campaign
- Name ad group
- Choose ad details: it will vary based on different campaign objectives you select at the beginning
- Choose placement type to show your ad
- Select to target your audiences by customizing, demographics, interest and behavior, and device
- Set up budget & schedule your ads
- Enter your bidding and optimization: remember the higher you bid, the larger number of audiences will see your ads.
Step 4: Create an ad
Name your ad and choose a format for your ad. TikTok lets you create ad content by video or images. Make sure that your content satisfies TikTok’s requirements.
Enter name, details, call to action and your page URL, add your profile and choose a way to track your ad performance, finally, submit your ads for review.
How to make your ads as much effective as possible
- Your content:
- Make vertical videos to provide the audience with full-screen immersive experience.
- Keep the length of the video less than 20 seconds to catch eyeballs.
- Best to have 3 creatives in an ad group and keep adding fresh creatives every week.
- Your bid budget:
- Bid 20%–30% higher than your expected CPA (cost per acquisition) to ensure the campaign attracts sufficient volume. This initial volume let TikTok’s algorithms quickly determine and target the audiences with the highest conversion rates.
- AVOID applying multiple targeting dimensions in the same ad group so you don't excessively narrow the audience
TikTok is growing dramatically in the world, it’s still new for you to play around, discover its potential and launch successful campaigns. Ready to get started?
Create your ad account now and start advertising your products.
Other articles: Are TikTok ads better than Facebook ads?